What over-the-counter medicines are available to help me lose weight?

There are several over-the-counter medications that claim to help people lose weight. However, the only one shown to be effective thus far is Alli. This medication works by reducing absorption of dietary fat in the intestines. Side effects include loose stools, oily spotting, and a possible link to rare but serious liver injury. On average, people taking Alli lose 3 to 5 pounds per year in addition to weight loss that can be expected from diet and exercise. It is recommended that you discuss with your physician any plans to take over-the-counter weight-loss supplements.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
How should I record what I eat if I want to lose weight?
Heidi Skolnik, MSHeidi Skolnik, MS
Food recording is very beneficial when it comes to improving food choices and losing weight. In this...
How are overweight and obesity treated?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
To treat overweight and obesity a number of strategies are used. The initial treatment of obesity in...
Is Injecting HCG for Dieting Safe?
Is Injecting HCG for Dieting Safe?