To lose weight in weight management, how can I eat fewer calories?

There are several ways to reduce caloric intake. Some of them are: 

• Prepare your food in healthier ways. Substitute vegetable oil for coconut oil, white bread for whole grain bread, fried foods for baked foods. 
  • Drink more water! Have a glass of water 10-20 minutes before you have your meal and you may find that you are eating less. Dehydration can sometimes feel like hunger; try having a glass of water when you're feeling hungry and see if that satiates your body for a while. 
  • Eat smaller portions. Be mindful of portion sizes. The more food on your plate typically means the more you will eat. Many of us come from families of origin that implored us to "eat everything on your plate," so we may unconsciously continue to eat, even if we're no longer hungry. 

Keep in mind that the better quality of food you eat, the more likely you will be taking in less calories. Fresh, perishable foods are typically low in calories (except meats) and are good for you, too! 

To lose weight as part of weight management, eat fewer calories by doing the following:
  • Eat smaller portions. Use a small plate with smaller servings, and avoid eating second helpings. When you eat at a restaurant, ask for a "to go" box and place half of your meal in the box before eating. Or order one plate at a restaurant and share it with someone else.This will help you to limit the amount of food you eat at the restaurant.
  • Replace high-calorie snacks with healthier, low-calorie snacks. Choose fresh fruit, vegetables, fat-free rice cakes or air-popped popcorn instead of potato chips, nuts or chocolate. Choose water or calorie-free drinks instead of soda or sweetened drinks.
  • Eat regular meals. Skipping meals can lead to overeating later in the day. Eat a healthy snack in place of a meal if you do not have time to eat regular meals.
  • Do not shop for groceries when you are hungry. This can cause you to buy foods that are not healthy. Take a grocery list of healthy foods and shop after you have eaten.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
As a Sharecare Transformer, how do you use a food diary to lose weight?
Mercedes Moebuis - Sharecare TransformerMercedes Moebuis - Sharecare Transformer
I think keep track of every morsel of food is extremely important, every bit adds up! I love sites s...
Why do people get frustrated with conventional weight loss programs?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
People get frustrated with conventional weight loss programs because in many cases they put unrealis...
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?