Is there a safe medication that can be used to lose weight?

There are several nutrients that are very safe to assist in weight loss by increasing fat burning.  These include omega 3 fatty acids with balanced DHA, EPA and GLA in doses of about 5 grams per day.  In addition, green tea extract (EGCG) at doses of 500 mg twice per day and carnitine at doses of 1000 to 2000 mg per meal will help decrease body fat.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a number of weight loss medications, including:
  • lorcaserin (Belviq)
  • phentermine/topiramate (Qsymia)
  • naltrexone /bupropion (Contrave)
These medicines result in a pretty modest weight loss of around 5%. However, they can cause side effects, including headaches, nausea and some heart rhythm disturbances. An ingredient in Qsymia can make your heart speed up. Ask your doctor which weight loss drug is safe for you.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Lighten Up Your Waistline With Some Sunlight
Rosanne Barr, Al Roker and Rosie O’Donnell are outspoken about their weight-loss surgery and its life-changing benefits. Rosanne was a pioneer, Al los...
Why have I stopped losing weight despite dieting and exercising?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
One of the reasons that your weight loss plateaus and you sit at a particular number, despite your d...
What are some easy things I can do to help me lose weight?
Here are 20 weight loss tips from the book, You: On a Diet, by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen:...
Secrets to Successfully Lose Weight
Secrets to Successfully Lose Weight