Is mesotherapy harmful?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
There's no solid scientific evidence that mesotherapy works and there's dozens of papers published that show it can be harmful.

The drug that is commonly injected is not Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for injection. That technically makes it illegal to use. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery has warned patients to avoid mesotherapy. But that hasn't stopped the thousands of doctors and even nurses from performing mesotherapy.

The FDA has issued warning letters to 6 US medical spas and a company in Brazil for making false statements on their websites about mesotherapy. The FDA has no evidence that mesotherapy is effective. But they have plenty of reports of problems from the procedure, including scarring and deformities.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Delayed Gratification Can Help You Lose Weight
Delayed Gratification is a magazine dedicated to Slow Journalism—that is, analysis of news events delayed until after the dust has settled. The hope: ...
Is there anything that can remove fat from my belly and waist?
Michelle Carlson, NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Carlson, NASM Elite Trainer
YES! Each body is different and responds accordingly, but there is always hope :) Remember that abs ...
Can using smaller plates really help me eat less?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
You may not have noticed, but the size of your dinner plate has morphed over the past century. Accor...
What Are the Side Effects of the HCG Diet?