Is chewing your food important for weight loss?

Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
The faster you eat, the more you can eat before your brain gets the message that you are full, which takes at least 20 minutes.  You can slow down your eating by putting your utensil down and taking drinks of water between bites. As far as chewing itself helping you to lose weight, it would only work if it makes you eat less food.   
Cassie Vanderwall

Yes, current research shows that people who chew their food well, at least 5 chews per bite, eat less. This is because it helps the food to be digested and absorbed. It also buys your body time to help you to recognize when you have had enough. Remember, it takes 15-20 minutes for your belly to tell you mind that you are full.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

Chewing your food well, or slowing down helps you to savor every bite, making a meal more satisfying. It takes time for your stomach to register to your brain a feeling of fullness. I recommend eating all food and meals without any distractions, such as television, driving or reading, so that you become more fulfilled with less food for weight loss.

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine

When you think of your eyes, you think 20/20.  When you think of your stomach, think 30/30.  That means chew 30 times which will help your stomach get the 30 minutes it needs to register fullness.  The opposite of chewing a lot is barely chewing at all and eating very quickly - and this is one of the warning signs for binge eating disorder - which is the most common eating disorder and affects just about as many men as women.  Obviously, binging is not healthy and it's definitely not good if you're trying to lose weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
Do I need to watch my diet if I'm exercising to lose weight?
Natalie Castro-Romero, MS, RDNatalie Castro-Romero, MS, RD
Yes, you need to watch your diet if you're exercising to lose weight. The most successful way to ach...
How do I lose a lot of weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
You need to eat less than your metabolic rate on a daily basis for an extended period of time. The l...
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?