Is chewing your food important for weight loss?

Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
The faster you eat, the more you can eat before your brain gets the message that you are full, which takes at least 20 minutes.  You can slow down your eating by putting your utensil down and taking drinks of water between bites. As far as chewing itself helping you to lose weight, it would only work if it makes you eat less food.   
Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine

When you think of your eyes, you think 20/20.  When you think of your stomach, think 30/30.  That means chew 30 times which will help your stomach get the 30 minutes it needs to register fullness.  The opposite of chewing a lot is barely chewing at all and eating very quickly - and this is one of the warning signs for binge eating disorder - which is the most common eating disorder and affects just about as many men as women.  Obviously, binging is not healthy and it's definitely not good if you're trying to lose weight.

Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

Chewing your food well, or slowing down helps you to savor every bite, making a meal more satisfying. It takes time for your stomach to register to your brain a feeling of fullness. I recommend eating all food and meals without any distractions, such as television, driving or reading, so that you become more fulfilled with less food for weight loss.

Cassie Vanderwall

Yes, current research shows that people who chew their food well, at least 5 chews per bite, eat less. This is because it helps the food to be digested and absorbed. It also buys your body time to help you to recognize when you have had enough. Remember, it takes 15-20 minutes for your belly to tell you mind that you are full.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Lighten Up Your Waistline With Some Sunlight
Rosanne Barr, Al Roker and Rosie O’Donnell are outspoken about their weight-loss surgery and its life-changing benefits. Rosanne was a pioneer, Al los...
What should I know before I get Vanquish fat reduction treatments?
Howard D. Sobel, MDHoward D. Sobel, MD
The FDA-approved Vanquish device works well on targeted areas of the body, but it's not recommended ...
What are the obstacles to losing weight all over my body?
Many biological factors make it tough for people to lose weight all over their bodies. Watch thi...
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?
What Herbs Can Promote Weight Loss?