How can standing help reduce my waist size?

It's fast, it's easy and it's free. To shave as much as one and a half inches from your waist, just stand up more.

In a study of middle-aged adults, those who broke up their sedentary hours the most -- by frequently getting out of their chairs for a bit -- had waists that were more than an inch smaller than their sit-for-longer peers.

Waist size is a rough indicator of how healthy you are. A big waist means you're more likely to have bad stuff going on inside your body -- such as inflammation, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, high blood sugar and unhealthful fat deposits around vital organs. All of which bump up your risk for conditions like diabetes and heart disease. But taking frequent breaks from sitting could melt fat around your middle -- and they don't even have to be long breaks. In the study, people had to stand for only one minute for it to count as a break.

So the breaks you take don't have to be long. But they do have to be frequent to have an impact. Use a reminder system that will provide regular prompts whenever you're sedentary -- whether it's a watch that beeps, a timer that ticks or a computer program gives you a pop-up reminder. Sound like too much? Then consider this: Related studies suggest that people with highly sedentary habits live shorter lives and have a greater risk of heart disease -- even if they exercise regularly. So make it a point to separate your derriere from your chair throughout the day.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Intake Control for Clean Plate Club Members
When Leonardo DaVinci painted the Last Supper around 1492, the food on the table (including eel with orange slices) was pretty sparse and the dishes w...
How can I lose weight in the summer?
Taking advantage of the variety of fresh fruits and vegetables available in the summer can help you ...
Why won't starving myself help me lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
It's so difficult to convince people that if they eat more often and exercise, rather than starv...
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?