How can I spot-reduce that last bit of fat just below my belly?

Neal Spruce
Neal Spruce on behalf of dotFIT
Fitness

There is no such thing as spot reducing so no exercise by itself will work for your "pooch." Unfortunately, it’s going to be all about your calorie balance, meaning you have to simply take in fewer calories than you burn until it finally leaves that area, which if that spot is the last of your visible body fat, the process requires strict diet adherence matched against your calorie burn much like a bodybuilder preparing for competition. You can move more and/or eat less until it disappears but of course it will come right back if you can’t maintain the lifestyle that removes that little pooch. Although my suggestion is generally to live with a little fat as long as you’re healthy (even though I can’t), if you choose to pursue this goal, use the free Sharecare Fitness Application located under the Coach tab; click here for access: http://www.sharecare.com/home/coach. 

Set your goal to lose 1/2-1 lb/week, follow the directions each time you enter a new weight and you will remove the pooch. Tips for making adjustments: a measurable or visual reduction in body fat and/or weight should take place in a fairly consistent manner such as a decrease in circumference inches, and/or the desired average decrease in weight or body fat per week. If progress stops or slows dramatically, one or a mixture of the following adjustments will be necessary to re-start the process:

• Increase daily activities (e.g. daily steps or other non-athletic/exercise activities).
    • Standing and pacing burns 2-3 times more calories than sitting for the same time period.
    • There are approximately 2000-2500 steps (depending on stride length) in a mile. Walking 2000 steps will burn 75-150 more calories (depending on individual size) than sitting for the same time and only takes 20-30 min and can be done anywhere, even in the office, while on the phone or watching TV.
  • Increase workout time or intensity.
  • Decrease food intake approximately 200 to 300 calories per day or remove a small portion of your largest meal.

Repeat the process any time weight or body fat is stable for at least one week. Always remember if you stop losing weight/fat you need to eat less, move more or a combination of the two regardless of what you read or hear from others.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Lighten Up Your Waistline With Some Sunlight
Rosanne Barr, Al Roker and Rosie O’Donnell are outspoken about their weight-loss surgery and its life-changing benefits. Rosanne was a pioneer, Al los...
What should I know about Shakeology by Beachbody?
Shakeology is a meal replacement shake. The Shake is made up of all natural ingredients, and is high...
Is there a quick way to lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
We all know there is no “magic bullet” to permanent weight loss. “Easy lose, easy gain” is what I’ve...
What Are the Side Effects of the HCG Diet?