How can I modify recipes to control my calories?

I like the above answer and would like to add that often times you can use whole grain flour in baked goods. Any time you add fiber to a recipe and to your diet you create bulk, this will help you eat less of your favorite baked goods, it will also help slow down the digestion of the food as well.

Kelly Traver

You can make substitutions in recipes that make the foods more healthful without sacrificing flavor. Here are some substitution tricks:

• When a recipe calls for fat (butter, margarine, or oil), you can substitute applesauce in a one-to-one ratio. Or you can add a fat (preferably olive or canola oil) but cut the amount in half; you will save 100 calories for every tablespoon of fat you eliminate.
  • For sour cream, use nonfat sour cream or nonfat yogurt (or a mixture of the two).
  • For mayonnaise, use light or nonfat mayonnaise.
  • If cream is called for, use low-fat or nonfat milk or evaporated skim milk. You may need to decrease the amount of milk slightly, depending on the recipe.
  • If you are watching the number of eggs you're eating, you can substitute two egg whites for every one egg that is called for. Or you can cut down on the number of whole eggs you would otherwise use by alternating every whole egg with two egg whites.
  • When you saute, you can use a nonstick cooking spray. If you are stirfrying, try putting just a little oil in the pan and then adding other liquids such as water, broth, tomato juice, fruit juice, or wine for added moisture.
  • If cheese is in the recipe, use low-fat or nonfat cheese or select a cheese with 5 or fewer grams of fat per ounce. If you want the flavor of the real thing but not all the extra fat and calories, use only half the amount of cheese called for.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
What should I do if I want to eat until full and still lose weight?
Scientists who study the body's feeling of fullness (satiety) have shown that foods with high concen...
Is there an easy way to lose weight?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way to lose weight, take off excess body fat, and keep it o...
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?