How can I modify recipes to control my calories?

I like the above answer and would like to add that often times you can use whole grain flour in baked goods. Any time you add fiber to a recipe and to your diet you create bulk, this will help you eat less of your favorite baked goods, it will also help slow down the digestion of the food as well.

Kelly Traver

You can make substitutions in recipes that make the foods more healthful without sacrificing flavor. Here are some substitution tricks:

• When a recipe calls for fat (butter, margarine, or oil), you can substitute applesauce in a one-to-one ratio. Or you can add a fat (preferably olive or canola oil) but cut the amount in half; you will save 100 calories for every tablespoon of fat you eliminate.
  • For sour cream, use nonfat sour cream or nonfat yogurt (or a mixture of the two).
  • For mayonnaise, use light or nonfat mayonnaise.
  • If cream is called for, use low-fat or nonfat milk or evaporated skim milk. You may need to decrease the amount of milk slightly, depending on the recipe.
  • If you are watching the number of eggs you're eating, you can substitute two egg whites for every one egg that is called for. Or you can cut down on the number of whole eggs you would otherwise use by alternating every whole egg with two egg whites.
  • When you saute, you can use a nonstick cooking spray. If you are stirfrying, try putting just a little oil in the pan and then adding other liquids such as water, broth, tomato juice, fruit juice, or wine for added moisture.
  • If cheese is in the recipe, use low-fat or nonfat cheese or select a cheese with 5 or fewer grams of fat per ounce. If you want the flavor of the real thing but not all the extra fat and calories, use only half the amount of cheese called for.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Everyone has opinions on how to lose weight – everything from Pilates to supplements to sleeping sans pajamas has been touted as an effective weight loss strategy. It's all about discovering what works for you. For some people, th...

e community support found on social media or in support groups for weight loss is an effective tool, while others benefit from the tried and true method of working up a daily sweat. Whatever strategy you choose, the key is finding something that you can stick with that works for your lifestyle.