How do I choose someone to support my weight loss efforts?

Manuel Villacorta
Support comes in many different shapes and forms, from enlisting a weight-loss buddy to finding someone to talk to about your weight loss so you don't feel you're doing it alone. If you do decide to enlist some support, which I heartily recommend, make sure it's someone who helps and inspires you -- not someone who wants to compete with you, or who acts like the little devil on your shoulder that convinces you to go ahead and eat that second slice of pizza. Oftentimes, people that we're closest to, like spouses and roommates, can unintentionally sabotage our progress by leading us back into our old habits -- especially if they view us as a "partner in crime" when it comes to indulging in unhealthy practices.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
5 Tricks to Fight Food Cravings
We know weight loss isn't as simple as "eat less and exercise more." (If it were, you wouldn't be reading this, and we wouldn't have written YOU: On a...
How important is it to stop eating two hours before going to bed?
Bob GreeneBob Greene
There's ongoing debate whether late-night calories trigger weight gain. Some studies have not found ...
How can I lose weight if I have a hormonal imbalance?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Hormone imbalances can make it harder to lose weight. In this video, Dr. Oz guest Dr. Tanya Altmann ...
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?
How Can I Lose Fat Without Surgery?