How can I change my eating habits to lose weight?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You don’t have to starve yourself to lose weight. Instead, make simple changes in the foods you eat and in your eating habits. For instance, make one or two changes at a time like only eating when sitting down and using a lunch plate instead of a dinner plate. Once you accomplish these changes, make two more changes such as chewing each bite of food 20 times and eating until you are satisfied but not full.

As you start to pay more attention to your eating habits, also pay attention to your refrigerator and pantry. Remove snack foods and foods high in sugar, fat and calories. If you aren’t tempted, you won’t eat these foods. Replace the junk food with healthy snacks such as fruits, low-fat yogurt and popcorn.

Another tip is to plan your meals and your snacks each day. Once you’ve eaten your planned foods, stop eating. This will let you have much more control over what you put in your mouth—and what you weigh.

Ruth Frechman
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

In general, people don't like to change. They become comfortable with whatever they are doing. If you are used to eating dessert every night, it may not be easy to stop. You may crave something sweet after dinner. To change habits, first identify the habit. Take baby steps to undo it. Start by eating fruit for dessert. Then go for a walk after dinner. It just takes time to change a habit and get used to the new behavior.

First, have a clear understanding of the changes you need to make. Sharecare is an ideal platform to educate your family on what "healthy habits" really are.

Second, Prepare for Success. Clean out the pantry and the fridge, and make a grocery store run. You can't eat what you don't have. Be sure to include the whole family in this process!

Third, When you fall, pick yourself up and start back on the right road. You will fall but that is part of the learning process.

The healthy road less traveled is challenging at times, but the destination is a life changing experience.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Delayed Gratification Can Help You Lose Weight
Delayed Gratification is a magazine dedicated to Slow Journalism—that is, analysis of news events delayed until after the dust has settled. The hope: ...
Is Counting Calories Important for Weight Loss?
How Can I Lose Weight If I Have a Hormonal Imbalance?
What Are the Side Effects of the HCG Diet?