How can I eat more mindfully?

So you grabbed a bag of chips, and a short while later, you were down to the crumbs. How'd that happen?

While you're figuring that out, here's how you can stop it from happening again: Practice mindful eating. There's a growing army of slim people singing this savor-the-moment practice.

To teach yourself how to eat mindfully, start with a raisin. Take a deep, relaxing breath as you pick it up. Look at it for a few seconds. Smell it. Place it in your mouth and roll it around on your tongue. Feel the wrinkles. Now bite. Note the chewy, gritty texture -- the sweet, fruity and astringent taste. Extract all the flavor before you swallow. That's kind of the idea with mindful eating -- to savor the look, smell, texture and taste of every bite. And it works! It had a huge impact on curbing chronic binge eating in a recent study.

Mindless eating is a major cause of obesity and other eating problems in this country. In this video, Goldie Hawn shares with Dr. Oz a simple exercise anyone can do at home to practice more mindful eating.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Delayed Gratification Can Help You Lose Weight
Delayed Gratification is a magazine dedicated to Slow Journalism—that is, analysis of news events delayed until after the dust has settled. The hope: ...
Does how often I eat affect weight loss or weight gain?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
The total amount of calories you eat in one day is more important than how often you eat. Some peopl...
How can I lose weight if I am a baby boomer?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
By focusing on a few key habits, baby boomers (actually, all of us) can reap significant health ...
In Ayurvedic Medicine, What Is Gharshana?