How can using the six tastes of Ayurveda help me lose weight?

Yogi Cameron Alborzian
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Though every individual is different, Ayurveda teaches us that people who are overweight or obese often have an abundance of the earth element in their body, known as Kapha.  Those with an excessive amount of this energy will often feel lethargic, stiff, and find it difficult to move both mentally and physically.  Those with an excess of this energy will do well to avoid too many sweet foods (sugar, rice), too many sour foods (yogurt, pickles), and too many salty foods.  Instead, they should favor pungent foods (garlic, onions), bitter foods (bitter melon, rhubarb), and astringent foods (cauliflower, spinach).  It is always important to remember, however, that eating too much of any one thing will cause further imbalance; for example, eating too many pungent foods could cause excessive amounts of heat in the body.
Ayurveda, the ancient medical system of India, recognizes 6 tastes -- sweet, sour, salty, bitter, pungent, and astringent. The American diet often has plenty of the first 3 -- sweet, sour, and salt -- but is often missing the last 3. When your meals satisfy all 6 tastes, it helps you eat less. Having diverse tastes in your meals helps to satisfy cravings and prevents overeating. Also, starting with just a small amount of something sweet at the beginning of a meal (like fruit preservers, dates, or raisins) will keep you from craving an unhealthy dessert at the end of your meal.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
Want to Lose Weight? Take the A Train
When Duke Ellington started playing Take the A Train during the 1940s and 50s, around 30 percent of North American adults were overweight. Now the rat...
How can I say no to a loved one who pressures me to eat when I'm on a diet?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
When people are pushing food to express their love, a hard rejection can be experienced as perso...
What activities can help with weight loss?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Once you're following a healthy food plan focused on fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains and l...
How Can I Lose Weight All Over My Body?
How Can I Lose Weight All Over My Body?