How does acupuncture help control weight?

The reality is that while in traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture is often used as a weight-loss treatment, a comprehensive evaluation of scientific evidence on the topic concluded that there is insufficient data to suggest that acupuncture is an effective weight-loss treatment and is not recommended.

Weight Watchers can help you lose weight and keep it off.

Weight Watchers offers a comprehensive approach to weight loss that can help you reach your goals.
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Acupuncture, as an adjunct therapy has greatly helped my patients to control their weight. This is how it is believed to work: Acupuncture affects the hypothalamus, which is a part of the brain that’s responsible for maintaining “homeostasis” or balance in the body. So it controls body temperature, fatigue, sleep cycles, emotions, blood pressure, pain, and thirst and of course, hunger. So, the theory is, if you can stimulate that part of the brain (the hypothalamus), then you can, among other things, regulate hunger and food intake. Since most weight gain is a result of over eating, then acupuncture can be a powerful tool to control weight.
The guiding principal in using acupuncture for weight loss is that acupuncture can power up any other weight control strategy by curbing appetite, quelling cravings, boosting metabolism, improving digestion, regulating obesity-related hormones, and enhancing the way nutrients are used. It also strengthens the function of the liver, the organ that produces many chemicals critical for digestion, processing nutrients, and breaking down of fats. Acupuncture may also increase tone in the smooth muscle of the stomach to help people know that they are full.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
The path to your new life and your new shape really is simple. Adopt these strategies and watch your body change effortlessly. Make Your Eating Plan ...
What’s the simplest thing I can do to lose weight?
Penny Ragusano, NASM Elite TrainerPenny Ragusano, NASM Elite Trainer
I like the way you think! The simplest thing we can do to lose weight is to keep the process exactly...
What is a healthy way for a vegetarian to lose weight?
Donna FeldmanDonna Feldman
The rules of weight loss are the same for vegetarians and meat eaters: eat fewer calories than you n...
How Does the HCG Diet Work?
How Does the HCG Diet Work?