Can intermittent fasting (IF) help with weight loss?

Intermittent fasting (IF) can reduce weight, improve health indicators, reduce the risk of some chronic conditions and positively affect body composition. IF, the practice of periodically alternating between fasting and non-fasting, is not the only or a guaranteed way to lose weight. The what, why, when and how of eating is different for everyone, and people often respond to diets differently. However, fasting can be an effective strategy for lowering calorie intake. And lowering calorie intake is a proven method for weight loss. This is especially true if people have lost their hunger. It’s easy in the American culture of food availability and glorification of "busy" to stop eating for hunger and start eating for a bunch of other reasons. In that case, a week or two of intermittent fasting can help reset awareness of hunger and recognize the difference between actual hunger and other types of hunger.

Intermittent fasting (IF) can certainly help with weight loss. Weight loss is dependent on a balance between calories burned and calories consumed. However, intermittent fasting in the abscence of a healthy baseline dietary and exercise regimen will achieve less than optimal results in regards to long term health.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Delayed Gratification Can Help You Lose Weight
Delayed Gratification is a magazine dedicated to Slow Journalism—that is, analysis of news events delayed until after the dust has settled. The hope: ...
Why won't starving myself help me lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
It's so difficult to convince people that if they eat more often and exercise, rather than starv...
What are my options when diet and exercise don't work?
Natalie Irvin, MDNatalie Irvin, MD
It is important to keep in mind that a healthy diet and exercise is the foundation of any weight los...
Why Is It So Hard to Lose Fat In My Butt?