Can human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) help me lose weight?

Kent Holtorf, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Physicians are using human chorionic gonadotropin, known as HCG, to help individuals lose weight. Interestingly, this is not a new therapy. It was originally used for weight loss in the 1950's after a study demonstrated its effectiveness. There has been some controversy regarding its effectiveness because a few studies did not show significant benefit with its use, but a subsequent double-blind placebo controlled study found that, compared to placebo, the use of HCG resulted in significantly more weight loss, reduced appetite and improved the sense of well-being and energy. It has also been shown to be lipolytic (selectively reducing fat), producing a more healthy weight loss that spares muscle and boosts metabolism.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Intake Control for Clean Plate Club Members
When Leonardo DaVinci painted the Last Supper around 1492, the food on the table (including eel with orange slices) was pretty sparse and the dishes w...
How can caffeine and nicotine patches help with weight loss?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
I would never encourage the use of caffeine or nicotine patches specifically for the goal of weight ...
What is the most natural way to lose weight?
Rose ReismanRose Reisman
The most natural way to lose weight is with food and exercise. Eating three meals and two snacks thr...
Why Is It So Hard to Lose Fat In My Butt?