What are the best tricks for losing weight?

The best tips for losing weight are as follows: 

• Eat every 2-3 hours, protein, carbs and a little fat
  • Track your food intake on paper or with an App
  • Drink at least 8 cups of water a day
  • Enjoy one splurge meal a week
  • Lift weights and do interval training.
  • Plan and prepare your food for the week.

Pay attention to the foods you eat. Select unprocessed, clean foods in their natural state. Believe in yourself, because you can lose weight.

The best tricks for losing weight are strength training, eating a large amount of vegetables, and staying well hydrated. Strength training will help you develop lean muscle which will burn more calories overall. Getting a large amount of vegetables in daily will help you get the nutrients you need and fill you up without unnecessary empty calories. Staying well hydrated will keep you energetic and control your appetite, many times we are thirsty instead of hungry.

The best way trick to losing weight it to set up some goals using SMART goals. Goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time based.

One of the most important peices of this is in setting goals that are realistic (doing some exercise but not too much exercise). Setting 2-3 small, short term goals that come out of your long term goals: losing weight and the ability to be active with my family. As you find yourself reaching one goal you'll find your confidence increasing to reach the next goal. You will also need to take into consideration what 'things' help you to exercise: groups, friends and family and what 'things' get in the way of exercising: time, energy, work and motivation. Once you are aware of what things you need to exercise and what gets in the way you are better able to incorporate those into your goals to help you move forward and build confidence. For example, if you don't like to workout alone then it's important to be aware of that, add that to your goals and find someone to workout with you. If work is a barrier to exercise, add that to your goals and find a way to either incorporate exercise into your work or add it before or after your work. 

People generally set short and long term goals. Long term goals are the end goals you hope to achieve: looking better, feeling better, feeling stronger, losing weight, etc. Short term goals help you achieve the long term goals and are the most important goals to focus on. Short term goals are the confidence building goals. They are the building blocks for getting you to were you want to go. For example, if you have a long term goal of wanting to lose 20 pounds in 6 months a short term goal might be 2 pounds a month or a half pound a week with some other goals to help you get there: walk twice a week for 15 minutes and garden twice a week. Reaching short term goals usually depends on when you want to reach the end/long term goal. Goals should be re-evaluated and revisited once a week. They can be changed and re-arranged as often as you'd like. The time allotted to reaching a goal depends on what the goal is and how much time you need to invest versus the amount of time you are currently putting in. 

The number one trick to losing weight is too eat less than your body needs on a daily basis for a period of time long enough to lose the weight you want.  All you need to know is how many calories you need everyday to live your life and simply and consistently eat less than that.  There really is no trick, just calories in and calories out.
The thing I always tell my clients "If you can't track it, you can't control it".  Logging your food has been shown again and again to aid significantly in weight loss.  When we really pay attention to the food we are eating, we usually lean towards healthier foods and often end up eating less.  You may realize that you were only eating out of boredom or sometimes we were simply unaware of how big a serving size really was.  So, logging and measuring our food is one of the fastest and healthiest ways to long-term weightloss. 
I've also found that doing it with a friend, a partner, a spouse, or a trainer can help.  This can provide support and motivation when you're having a bad day.  Also, it's much funner when you're doing it with another person or a group of people.
We all know that exercise is a vital part of healthy, sustained weight loss.  So, when choosing the form of exercise to help you reach your goals, look for something that you already enjoy or have an interest in.  If you enjoy walking, round up some friends - or even your dog - and get out for 20-30 minutes a day.  Like biking, swimming, jogging, hiking, dancing?!  Choosing something you enjoy will help you to be more consistent.  You are much more likely to continue doing something you enjoy doing rather than something that you dread all day up to it.
There are thousands of "tricks" people use to lose weight - from fad diets to eating from smaller plates.  If it helps you - GREAT!  Just remember to do it in a way that is healthy and allows you to make small changes as you work towards a healthy and happy lifestyle.  Those are the things you are going to stick with and that's what will help you get there the quickest and - just as importantly - MAINTAIN IT!!
Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
Family Medicine
Losing unwanted pounds isn’t easy at any age and it becomes harder as we age. Losing weight requires a change in habits and takes some discipline. I tell patients that it can take a month to break an old habit and replace it with a new one so be patient. Just as it takes repetition and practice to learn a new skill in sports, the same is true when changing food habits.
It takes about 3500 excess calories to gain a pound of weight and many people overeat by 500 to 1500 calories a day. At that rate, it doesn’t take long to gain a few pounds especially during the holidays or while on vacation.
Here are 10 of the dietary tricks that my patients have used to help them lose weight and keep it off:
• Drink a big glass of water before each meal as it helps to fill your stomach.
• Chew food slowly as it takes 20-30 minutes for your stomach to signal
  your brain that it’s full. Be the last to start eating and the last to
  finish.
• Never eat in front of the TV as you get distracted and eat too much.
• Avoid processed foods especially white foods at dinner.
• Fill up half your plate with veggies and/or salad.
• Limit your meat portion to the size of your palm.
• Save desserts for the weekend.
• If you drink alcohol with a meal, limit yourself to one glass.
• If snacking between meals, use fruits or veggies and avoid junk food.
• Never “super-size” your meal orders
Remember that increasing your exercise will help to burn calories and help you to lose weight. By getting more exercise you will lose weight even if you don’t change your eating habits.
Finally, I always advise people to write down your goals and track your progress. At home, my family uses our Wii machine to track our weight as well as a fun way to burn some calories. Each one of us is different so what works for you or me may vary. Just keep at it with small changes and you will be successful.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Everyone has opinions on how to lose weight – everything from Pilates to supplements to sleeping sans pajamas has been touted as an effective weight loss strategy. It's all about discovering what works for you. For some people, th...

e community support found on social media or in support groups for weight loss is an effective tool, while others benefit from the tried and true method of working up a daily sweat. Whatever strategy you choose, the key is finding something that you can stick with that works for your lifestyle.