What are the best tricks for losing weight?

Dr. Kevin J. Soden, MD
Family Medicine
Losing unwanted pounds isn’t easy at any age and it becomes harder as we age. Losing weight requires a change in habits and takes some discipline. I tell patients that it can take a month to break an old habit and replace it with a new one so be patient. Just as it takes repetition and practice to learn a new skill in sports, the same is true when changing food habits.
It takes about 3500 excess calories to gain a pound of weight and many people overeat by 500 to 1500 calories a day. At that rate, it doesn’t take long to gain a few pounds especially during the holidays or while on vacation.
Here are 10 of the dietary tricks that my patients have used to help them lose weight and keep it off:
• Drink a big glass of water before each meal as it helps to fill your stomach.
• Chew food slowly as it takes 20-30 minutes for your stomach to signal
  your brain that it’s full. Be the last to start eating and the last to
  finish.
• Never eat in front of the TV as you get distracted and eat too much.
• Avoid processed foods especially white foods at dinner.
• Fill up half your plate with veggies and/or salad.
• Limit your meat portion to the size of your palm.
• Save desserts for the weekend.
• If you drink alcohol with a meal, limit yourself to one glass.
• If snacking between meals, use fruits or veggies and avoid junk food.
• Never “super-size” your meal orders
Remember that increasing your exercise will help to burn calories and help you to lose weight. By getting more exercise you will lose weight even if you don’t change your eating habits.
Finally, I always advise people to write down your goals and track your progress. At home, my family uses our Wii machine to track our weight as well as a fun way to burn some calories. Each one of us is different so what works for you or me may vary. Just keep at it with small changes and you will be successful.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

what are the keys to hunger-free weight loss ?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Never let yourself get hungry. Also learn to identify when you are actually hungry. Many people eat ...
why is it so hard to lose fat in my butt ?
Genetics dictates where your body burns fat.  For example, you may desire to lose weight in your hip...
what steps should i take to help me lose weight ?
Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite TrainerJoanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Having a really motivating reason as to why you want to lose weight is important in reaching your go...
do financial incentives help with weight loss ?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Financial incentives do help people to lose weight but it's more complicated than that. In this vide...