As a woman, how can I lose weight in a healthy way?

If you're a woman, it's likely that you or other women you know are wondering how to lose weight and get healthy. Doonesbury cartoonist Gary Trudeau got it right: "Becoming the new feminine ideal requires just the right combination of insecurity, exercise, bulimia, and surgery." Ironically, the more pressure society put on girls and women to look rail thin and “Photoshopped” of all flaws, the more they struggle with obesity and self-esteem.

We want you to stop, take a deep breath, and consider this: You can boost your self-esteem, lose weight, get stronger, and feel happier without adopting extreme (and extremely harmful) habits.

How to lose weight? Get a walking buddy (a dog, a friend, or headphones). Start slowly. Your long-term goal is to walk 10,000 steps a day. Also make these simple diet changes:

• Avoid most saturated fats.
  • Avoid all trans fats.
  • Eat only 100% whole grains.
  • Eliminate added sugar.
  • Never eat sugar syrups (high fructose corn syrup is part of this felonious grouping).

To lose weight and get healthy, be patient -- and persistent. Then, the next time you see that 80-pound waif on a magazine cover, think "I am so much smarter and so much healthier!" Because you are!

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
Follow the New Rules of Weight Loss
The path to your new life and your new shape really is simple. Adopt these strategies and watch your body change effortlessly. Make Your Eating Plan ...
How can I lose fat without surgery?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Anyone can lose fat without surgery.  Unfortunately most people are looking for that quick fix to we...
Is there a safe diet pill for weight loss?
Penny Ragusano, NASM Elite TrainerPenny Ragusano, NASM Elite Trainer
In my opinion, weight loss is just step one. Once we lose the weight, it's important to know what to...
Secrets to Successfully Lose Weight
Secrets to Successfully Lose Weight