Are liquid weight-loss supplements effective?

Judy Caplan
They can be effective in helping you lose weight. However, they are not that effective when it comes to keeping the lost weight off. Generally, the best way to lose weight is to eat the same food you will eat once the weight is gone. The problem with liquid weight loss supplements is that you grow tired of them and go back to eating real food. If you have not learned what food will help you both lose weight and maintain your weight, liquid diets will not be a long term solution.
Marisa Moore

As a registered dietitian, I have seen some people lose weight using liquid supplements. However, that success is usually short lived as many people regain the weight when they go back to eating a normal diet. Additionally, liquids don’t tend to satisfy hunger as well as solid foods do. 

I don’t personally recommend liquid supplements for weight loss because this is not a sustainable solution for most clients. It’s more important to learn and incorporate healthy eating habits and regular physical activity for lifelong health and weight management.

James O. Hill
Possibly. People who choose to use liquid weight-loss supplements peel off pounds as effectively as people who follow other types of diets. However, you will still have to change your eating habits to maintain weight loss successfully unless you want to keep drinking diet formulas forever.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Intake Control for Clean Plate Club Members
When Leonardo DaVinci painted the Last Supper around 1492, the food on the table (including eel with orange slices) was pretty sparse and the dishes w...
How can I lose fat without surgery?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Anyone can lose fat without surgery.  Unfortunately most people are looking for that quick fix to we...
Can using a juicer for fruits and vegetables help me lose weight?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Juicing has become associated with weight loss and detoxing, but that's misleading. Remember that ou...
What Is the Most Effective Way to Lose Weight?