Are diet pills a good way to lose weight?

In my opinion, weight loss is just step one. Once we lose the weight, it's important to know what to do in order to sustain it. Not being able to sustain is a common challenge many face and one I can personally relate to. This leads to gaining the weight back in many cases plus more! Which then takes us through the cycle of losing and gaining..an unhealthy and unsafe strategy. For me, diet pills were not a safe solution because they did not TEACH me how to live a healthy sustainable lifestyle. This is based on my own personal experience.
Laura Motosko, MSEd, RD

Diet pills offer short term weight loss. Weight loss involves many factors including your environment, behavior change, genetics, health status, physical activity and diet. Reducing calories in your diet is an effective way for most people to lose weight.

Long term healthy weight maintenance for vitality and to prevent chronic disease is best achieved with a steady nutrient dense diet plan including whole grains, fruits, vegetables, healthy fats such as olive oil, proteins including lean meat, nuts, legumes, beans, soy or dairy and reduced saturated fat, sodium and sugar.

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
Stimulant-based diet pills are not shown to be clinically effective in the long-term, and sometimes, they can be dangerous. What does work is long-term behavioral modification, and some of the programs that have been around for a long time like Weight Watchers are actually the most effective. And when you see Jennifer Hudson these days, you can see it works! The combination of accountability and support do work.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Weight Loss Strategies

Everyone has opinions on how to lose weight – everything from Pilates to supplements to sleeping sans pajamas has been touted as an effective weight loss strategy. It's all about discovering what works for you. For some people, th...

e community support found on social media or in support groups for weight loss is an effective tool, while others benefit from the tried and true method of working up a daily sweat. Whatever strategy you choose, the key is finding something that you can stick with that works for your lifestyle.