What are some ways to assess my weight?

Healthcare providers use several different measures to assess body weight. Common ways of looking at body weight include the following:
  • Body mass index (BMI). This is a measure of body mass based on your height and weight. It's helpful in showing whether you are overweight.
  • Waist circumference and waist-hip ratio. Measuring your waist and hips can show where your body tends to store fat. People who store body fat around the waist have more risk of heart disease. Generally, men with a waist over 40 inches and nonpregnant women with a waist over 35 inches are at higher risk.
  • Body composition measures. Several different methods -- for example, skin fold tests and underwater weighing -- can check how much of your weight is due to muscle or fat.

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

As a teen, how much should I weigh?
During the teen years, height, weight and body fat change rapidly. To help you figure out if you're ...
Should I weigh myself in the morning or evening?
Whether you are trying to gain or lose weight, the most important thing to remember about weighi...
What is a healthy weight?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
A healthy weight is considered a body weight that doesn’t increase your risk of developing weight-re...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.