What are some ways to assess my weight?

Healthcare providers use several different measures to assess body weight. Common ways of looking at body weight include the following:
  • Body mass index (BMI). This is a measure of body mass based on your height and weight. It's helpful in showing whether you are overweight.
  • Waist circumference and waist-hip ratio. Measuring your waist and hips can show where your body tends to store fat. People who store body fat around the waist have more risk of heart disease. Generally, men with a waist over 40 inches and nonpregnant women with a waist over 35 inches are at higher risk.
  • Body composition measures. Several different methods -- for example, skin fold tests and underwater weighing -- can check how much of your weight is due to muscle or fat.

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

How often should I weigh myself?
Dolvett QuinceDolvett Quince
I've never been a fan of the scale. I always say "Judge your progress by the clothes you wear and th...
Why should I care about my weight?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
Your body belongs to you and you have the ability to control what you feed it and how often you move...
How much should I weigh?
Thomas J. Hill, MDThomas J. Hill, MD
You should weigh an amount equivalent to a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or less. BMI is your weight (...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.