What is a healthy weight for staying young?

The gaunt and skeletal body type we see in fashion magazines is not attainable -- or even desirable -- for almost all of us. Instead, you should be the right weight for you. Your aim should be to keep your weight as close to what it was at age eighteen for women or twenty-one for men. Having a low and stable body mass index -- or weight-to-height ratio -- is one of the things that will help keep you young. Animal studies show that restricting calorie intake not only promotes weight loss but seems also to increase longevity. For example, mice fed a low-calorie, low-fat diet live considerably longer than mice that eat more. The most important thing is to avoid yo-yo weight loss and gain, which is worse for you than simply being overweight. We don't know why, but the data repeatedly confirm that this is so.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

What is a healthy weight?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
A healthy weight is considered a body weight that doesn’t increase your risk of developing weight-re...
Why should I know my healthy weight?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
With the U.S. obesity rate still climbing and the prevalence of added sugars in processed foods rais...
What are some ways to assess my weight?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Healthcare providers use several different measures to assess body weight. Common ways of lookin...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.