What is the effect of weight gain on health?

Michael B. Finkelstein, MD
If we struggle with our weight, we may experience anything along the spectrum of physical and emotional difficulties. We may suffer from diabetes, heart disease or chronic pain that is triggered by carrying around more than our frame can handle. We may have difficulty walking, cycling, swimming or engaging in other physical activity -- further exacerbating the core problem of weight management by causing us to live a relatively sedentary life. Additionally, we may feel crippling discomfort in our bodies, and -- given our society’s biases about size -- shame about how we look, leading to isolation, depression and even self-hatred. All of these struggles in turn may set off a chain reaction of difficulties, adversely impacting our lives socially, professionally, financially, medically and more.  

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

What are some ways to assess my weight?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Healthcare providers use several different measures to assess body weight. Common ways of lookin...
Should I weigh myself in the morning or evening?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
For all of us, the best time to weigh ourselves is in the morning. That's the time you'll find your ...
Who should lose weight?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Well not everyone should lose weight. What you have to look at is what your goals are and where you...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.