How do I know if I need to lose fat?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

You need to lose fat if you're overweight according to the height/weight tables, with these additional considerations:

• If you are sedentary
  • If you know you are not particularly muscular
  • If the bulges over your belt are unmistakable
  • If you have a health condition that's associated with obesity: hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, arthritis or other joint problems, or any symptom associated with cardiovascular disease
  • If you have a family history of any of the chronic diseases mentioned above
  • If you smoke, drink more than two alcoholic drinks a day, or spend much of your time under stressful conditions. A system already stressed by cigarette smoking, drinking, or chronic aggravations will do better if it's not under the added stress of excess body weight.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines