How do I know if I need to lose fat?

Eric Olsen
Fitness

You need to lose fat if you're overweight according to the height/weight tables, with these additional considerations:

• If you are sedentary
  • If you know you are not particularly muscular
  • If the bulges over your belt are unmistakable
  • If you have a health condition that's associated with obesity: hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, arthritis or other joint problems, or any symptom associated with cardiovascular disease
  • If you have a family history of any of the chronic diseases mentioned above
  • If you smoke, drink more than two alcoholic drinks a day, or spend much of your time under stressful conditions. A system already stressed by cigarette smoking, drinking, or chronic aggravations will do better if it's not under the added stress of excess body weight.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Continue Learning about Weight Guidelines

Should I weigh myself in the morning or evening?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
For all of us, the best time to weigh ourselves is in the morning. That's the time you'll find your ...
Why should I care about my weight?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
Your body belongs to you and you have the ability to control what you feed it and how often you move...
As a teen, how much should I weigh?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
This is a question has a broad answer for a teen. The best way to find if you are in a healthy weigh...
How Weight Affects Your RealAge
How Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAgeHow Weight Affects Your RealAge
How old are you really? Find out how weight impacts how long you'll live.