What should I consider when choosing a surfboard?

When choosing a surfboard, it’s important to consider your skill level, the types of waves that you will most likely be riding, and the type of ride you want to have that day. Novice riders should go with a longer board, whereas experienced riders often choose shorter boards. If you want to do more maneuvers and tricks, shorter boards are the better choice. In larger swells and waves, shorter boards may be easier to manage even for inexperienced riders. Most important, you should be able to carry your board and control it in the water. This should direct your choice more than flashy design and colors. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Watersports

How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...