How can I increase my power for kayaking?

Power training that uses a combination of strength exercises supersetted with power exercises is a great way to build power for kayaking. To perform this type of training you should perform 1-5 repetitions of a strength exercise followed immediately by 8-10 repetitions of a power exercise using an explosive tempo and up to 10% of bodyweight or 30%-45% of your one repetition maximum; this makes up one set. Perform 3-5 sets of this combination with 3-5 minutes of rest in between sets. Peform the strength exercise in a stable position (using two legs, leg press machine, etc.) as this allows more weight to be used. Some example supersets include low cable rows (4 sets of 5 repetitions) supersetted with 10 medicine ball slams and dumbbell bench presses supersetted with medicine ball chest passes. To do medicine ball slams, use a ball that is up to 10% of your weight and start with the ball overhead. Explosively throw the ball down using the arms, lats, and abs. Ensure that the arms follow through the throw and bend the knees at the end of the movement. Catch the ball when it bounces up and repeat the movement. To perform the medicine ball chest passes, use a ball that is up to 10% of your bodyweight and hold the ball in the middle of the chest. Engage the core by contracting glutes and abs and drawing-in the stomach. Explosively push the ball using both arms to a partner or against a wall. This workout will help develop the strength and power for kayaking.

Continue Learning about Watersports

How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...