How can I strengthen my paddling for surfing?

Use strength and power exercises to train the lats (latissimus dorsi), chest, and front shoulders (anterior deltoids) which are used in paddling. To strengthen these muscles, perform a power training workout in which you pair a traditional strength exercise with a power exercise in a superset. For example, your workout can include stiff-arm pull-downs supersetted with medicine ball slams, followed by dumbbell chest presses supersetted with medicine ball chest passes. Perform 5 fast repetitions of the strength exercise using heavy weight and then immediately perform 10 explosive repetitions of the power exercise using a medicine ball that is up to 10% of your body weight; this constitutes one superset. Perform 3 supersets of each grouping with 3 minutes of rest in between. To perform the stiff-arm pull downs, start with a bar attached to a cable. Begin the movement at shoulder-height with the arms straight, palms facing down, and elbows just slightly unlocked. Engage the core by drawing-in the stomach, contracting the abs, and squeezing the glutes. Pull the bar quickly down to the waist and then repeat. For medicine ball slams, start with the ball overhead and then explosively throw the ball down using the arms, lats, and abs. Ensure that the arms follow through the throw and bend the knees at the end of the movement. Catch the ball when it bounces up and repeat the movement. To perform the medicine ball chest passes, hold the ball in the middle of the chest. Engage the core by contracting the glutes and abs and draw-in the stomach. Explosively push the ball using both arms to a partner or against a wall. This workout will develop the strength and power for paddling to catch a wave.

Continue Learning about Watersports

What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...