How do I increase my power for surfing?

Power training that uses a combination of strength exercises supersetted with power exercises is a great way to build power for surfing. To perform this type of training you should perform 1-5 repetitions of a strength exercise followed immediately by 8-10 repetitions of a power exercise using an explosive tempo; this makes up one set. Perform 3-5 sets of this combination with 3-5 minutes of rest in between sets. Peform the strength exercise in a stable position (using two legs, leg press machine, etc.) as this allows more weight to be used. The power exercise should use the same muscles as the strength exercise and consist of jump training or medicine balls with an explosive tempo. By using supersets of a strength exercise followed immediately by a power exercise you can improve both strength and explosive power. An example power training workout includes bar squats (5 sets of 5 repetitions) supersetted with box jumps (10 repetitions) followed by lying leg curls (5 sets of 5 repetitions) supersetted with lunge jumps (5 per leg). To perform box jumps, quickly squat down and the explosively jump on to a box. Make sure to land softly, then step down and repeat the movement. To perform the jump lunges, start in the bottom of a lunge position and then explosively jump in the air. Land softly in the lunge position and repeat the movement.

Continue Learning about Watersports

What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...
How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...