How do I improve my flexibility for wakeboarding?

If you are trying to improve flexibility, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretching. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that applies pressure with a foam roller to tight areas in the muscle. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Start with foam rolling any tight areas like the IT-band (side of the thigh between the knee and hip), inner thigh, and lats. Apply pressure to the tender areas for 30 seconds. Once you have foam rolled your muscles, perform static stretching which is most effective using 1-3 sets of holds for 30 seconds, moving slowing into and out of the stretch. Static stretching helps change the length of the muscle and increase flexibility. Important areas to static stretch include the hip flexors, thighs, and chest. To perform the kneeling hip flexor stretch, place one knee on the ground and the other leg out front, similar to a lunge position with the back knee on the ground. Keep the back flat and chest up as you push your hips forward. You should feel a stretch in the hip flexor area of the leg on the same side as knee that is on the ground. Move slowly into and out of the position and make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. To perform the thigh, or quadriceps, stretch, stand up straight and bend one knee. Grab the insole of the foot and pull up toward the glute (butt). Keep both knees together as you pull, you should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. To perform a chest stretch, use a door opening and place your arms with the elbows bent and at shoulder-height on each side. Then lean into the door so a stretch develops in the chest and front of the shoulders. Again, make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine.

Continue Learning about Watersports

How do I improve my flexibility for kayaking?
To improve flexibility for kayaking, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
How do I improve my flexibility for canoeing?
To improve flexibility for canoeing, begin your flexibility routine by foam rolling for 30 secon...
What are the benefits of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Cross-country skiing is a great form of exercise. The impact is light on your body, plenty of upper ...
What are the disadvantages of cross-country skiing and rowing?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
An obvious problem with skiing, of course, is that you need snow as well as a certain amount of tech...