Why should I drink eight to nine cups of water a day?

Ronald Tamler, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about four cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Water drinkers average 75 to 90 fewer calories at each meal, which greatly aids in weight loss and weight control. 

Continue Learning about Water

Tap Water vs. Bottled—What Should You Drink?
Glug, glug, glug. That's the sound a ginormous number of us make as we drink bottled water in our cars, at the gym and behind our desks. The sound yo...
How do mechanical water filters work?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Mechanical filters are a common water filtration technology. Like ceramic filters, these filters are...
How can I make sure my tap water is safe for my children?
The scary thing is that water is not guaranteed to be safe, even expensive bottled water. So here is...
How Much Water a Child Should Drink
How Much Water a Child Should Drink