What are the types of bottled water?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) classifies bottled water by its origin. Types of bottled water include:
  • Artesian well water. This water is collected from a well that taps an aquifer -- layer of porous rock, sand and earth that contain water.
  • Mineral water. This water comes from an underground source and contains at least 250 parts per million total dissolved solids which include minerals and trace elements.
  • Spring water. This water must be collected from a spring that flows naturally to the surface or through a borehole that taps the underground water source of the spring.
  • Some bottled water also comes from municipal water that is usually treated before it is bottled. Municipal water treated by reverse osmosis (to remove minerals), distillation or filtration may be labeled "purified water."

Continue Learning about Water

Drink More Water to Protect Your Organs
Drink More Water to Protect Your Organs
In the 2018 Marvel movie Aquaman, when Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) learns he is Aquaman and heir to the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, he realizes how...
How is drinking ice water good for me?
Here’s a surprise: drinking ice water is good for you and forces your body to burn calories by bring...
Does drinking soda count towards my daily water intake?
Elizabeth Casparro, MPH,RDElizabeth Casparro, MPH,RD
Although soda does have water in it, it is not a preferred source of obtaining your daily water inta...
A Pre-Meal Weight Loss Tip
A Pre-Meal Weight Loss Tip