How can I drink more water?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy

We all know that we need to drink more water. It's one of the basic building blocks of life. Drinking more water can result in clearer skin, less joint pain, decreased appetite, and more. Too many of us don't drink as much water each day as we would like. Try these five tips to help you remember to drink more water every day:

• Add fresh produce. Most restaurants offer lemon for your water. Personally, I prefer lime, but I have heard others request orange. Two of my favorite healthy food restaurants add cucumber slices to glasses of water. The produce can add a fresher flavor, especially for those used to drinking juices. If you are not buying organic, you may want to simply squeeze the juice into your glass, as chemicals that are used in growing fruit can become stuck in the rind. When you return from the farmers' market or grocery store, cut your produce into slices or wedges, so it is always ready when you pour yourself a glass of water.
  • Make it a prerequisite to drink a glass of water before other indulgences. Your body is likely craving hydration first thing in the morning. While the coffee is brewing, drink a glass of water. Require yourself to drink a glass of water before indulging in any craving, and you may find that your cravings no longer tempt you. You can also increase your intake of water by adding a glass before every meal or snack. It is also helpful to hydrate before starting your workout. If the goal is to increase your water intake, it's okay to gulp rather than sip.
  • Make it a rule to only drink water with your meals. This can allow you to focus on the flavor of food and eat more mindfully. Save other beverages for between meals.
  • Carry a Nalgene bottle with you every day. You are more likely to drink water if it is readily available. It also enables you to track exactly how many ounces you have consumed in a day. I have two that I alternate, one of which came from the Biggest Loser season five finale.
  • Eat more spicy foods. If push comes to shove, I know I always drink a lot of water when eating spicy foods. It might work for you too.
Some great ways to make sure you're drinking enough water each day are to take a water break instead of a coffee break, keep a cup or bottle of water handy at your desk, take a drink whenever you walk by a water fountain and keep a bottle of water in your backpack or tote bag. All fluids like juice, tea, soup and even coffee count, so drink up.

Continue Learning about Water

Water

Plenty of water in your diet helps digestion, skin, and muscle tone. It can help prevent cramping during exercise and even relive stress. Many times we are low on water - dehydrated, and don't realize it. Being dehydrated can mani...

fest with symptoms like fatigue and depression. In fact, by the time we are feeling thirsty, we're already slightly dehydrated. That's one reason that we hear the recommendation to drink eight standard glasses of water daily. Adequate water helps you digest food an helps your body get rid of wastes. Your kidneys need to process water for you to eliminate waste by urination, and getting enough water ensures that these wastes are diluted. Not getting enough water can encourage the formation of painful kidney stones.