Why do I need water in my diet?

Water is an important part of the diet for several reasons. Some of the functions that drinking water provides in the body include avoiding dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, helping regulate temperature, lubricating/cushioning joints and helping to get rid of waste products through urination, stool and perspiration. There have also been some nutrition studies that show that people who drink water before eating tend to consume fewer calories during mealtimes. And water can be a good substitute for satisfying thirst while avoiding the high calories that are in sugary drinks like soda and juices.

Continue Learning about Water & The Body

How do I stay hydrated during the summer?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Staying hydrated can be a challenge, especially during hot summer days. Here are five easy ways t...
How can I stay hydrated while I'm trying to lose weight?
If plain water leaves you cold, swap it for something with a bit more flavor (plus some health b...
What can I learn from my dog about drinking water after exercising?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Your dog has learned the importance of hydration before, during, and after exercise. Dogs will u...
How can drinking water give me more energy?
It quenches your thirst, it's practically free and it gives you an energy boost like no other. W...