Why do I need water in my diet?

Water is an important part of the diet for several reasons. Some of the functions that drinking water provides in the body include avoiding dehydration and electrolyte imbalances, helping regulate temperature, lubricating/cushioning joints and helping to get rid of waste products through urination, stool and perspiration. There have also been some nutrition studies that show that people who drink water before eating tend to consume fewer calories during mealtimes. And water can be a good substitute for satisfying thirst while avoiding the high calories that are in sugary drinks like soda and juices.
Kelly Traver

Water makes up 60 percent of our body. So it is obviously a crucial element of our diet. How much water we need each day varies from person to person. You lose water each day in your urine, sweat, and bowel movements and you also lose fluids from your respiratory tract when you breathe. The food you eat provides some of your water requirements, and liquids provide the rest. Any beverage you consume has water in it. Some beverage choices are obviously better than others. Plain old water is always a safe, healthful option. How much water should you drink each day? If your urine is dark yellow, you need to drink more fluids; if it is pale yellow, you are adequately hydrated.

Continue Learning about Water & The Body