Why is staying hydrated so important?

Staying hydrated is always important, and it becomes even more important when exercising. Water has many functions; it regulates body temperature, lubricates joints as well as transports nutrients and waste throughout the body. Failing to maintain and replace lost fluid during exercise can cause dehydration effecting performance and safety. Becoming dehydrated can lead to fatigue, dizziness, muscle cramps, heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Factors that can increase this risk are: excess sweating, dry hot or very cold weather, altitude, exercising at high intensity or long duration.

Two simple ways to estimate adequate hydration:

* Monitor urine quantity and color -- Ample amount of light colored, diluted urine probably means you are hydrated; small amount of dark colored urine most likely means you are dehydrated.

* Weigh yourself before and after exercise --  Weight loss is likely from fluid loss which means you need to drink to replenish those losses. Weight gain could mean you are drinking more than you need.

If exercising at a high intensity for 60 minutes or more, it may be helpful to drink a Sports drink to replace the loss of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes. Usually during normal activities and exercise, it is unlikely there would be a need for an electrolyte drink.

Continue Learning about Water & The Body

Why do I need water in my diet?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Water makes up 60 percent of our body. So it is obviously a crucial element of our diet. How much wa...
Why do I need to stay hydrated while swimming?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Remaining hydrated during the hot summer months is very important. One of your body's best remin...
Can drinking water improve my voice?
Daniel McCabe, DMA, CCC-SLPDaniel McCabe, DMA, CCC-SLP
Drinking water is always a good idea. Your vocal cords open and close to regulate airflow in and out...
When does dehydration become a serious condition?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Dehydration is a medical state when a person has lost too much water and salt. This can cause severe...