Why should I avoid walking with weights?

I do not advise walking with weights. I've seen too many upper-arm joint injuries and subsequent need for surgery in people who walked with weights. It's just too easy to injure yourself, and that will make you older, not younger. Walking with weights is a full employment program for orthopedic surgeons specializing in shoulder and upper arm ligament and tendon repairs.

Walking with weights can cause excess wear and tear on the joints. This doesn’t only occur through impact, but also altered muscle and joint movement because of the increased load the weight provides.  Rather than walking with resistance, incorporate a few sets of exercises such as lunges or body weight squats into your workouts. These don’t require any type of special equipment, so they can be performed anywhere along your walk. Start with 2-3 sets of 10 repetitions.

Michael Nirenberg
Podiatric Medicine

Part of good, healthy walking means using the momentum of arms and for that matter, you body as you walk. Your arms swing and your torso will wind back and forth gently. When you carry weights, the weights increase momentum beyond what is normal and you can overswing and injure yourself.

Continue Learning about Walking

Walking Gear: Look Good, Feel Great
Walking Gear: Look Good, Feel Great
You can roll out of bed and head for a walk wearing practically anything (including your PJs; check out who's walking in those). But you'll be more co...
How can I make walking more challenging?
Clyde Mealy, M.S., NASM, ACSM, IYCA, ISSA, TRXClyde Mealy, M.S., NASM, ACSM, IYCA, ISSA, TRX
Great question... If you are a beginner: walk for 10-15 minutes and slowly build up to 30 minutes by...
Get the Most Out of Winter Walking
Get the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter Walking
Don’t let cold weather stop you from burning calories and having fun with friends.
3 Tips to Start Your Walking Workout
3 Tips to Start Your Walking Workout