What can I do if I reach a walking plateau?

These are the questions I love to answer!  Now that you have reached your walking plateau you must pick-up the intensity of your routine!  Prior to doing that, congratulate yourself.  You have accomplished a feat!  Your body now requires you to work harder.  This means your fitness is increases and this is wonderful!

The next step, add some strength training to your routine, add some running or sprint intervals to your walking, or completely change up your routine and start running!  Everyone is different and you may not be able to run due to the impact on your body, not a problem.  Adding simple strength training exercises, such as push-ups and squat, will assist and help your body continue to receive benefits while doing something you enjoy. 

Not sure about the strength training but still looking for that push?  Well add those jogging or sprint intervals.  A great way to figure out the appropriate length would be to use telephone poles.  Walk for two polls and jog/sprint for one.  Do a handful of these to see how they feel and increase as you get stronger!

Continue Learning about Walking

Get the Most Out of Winter Walking
Get the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter Walking
Don’t let cold weather stop you from burning calories and having fun with friends. Trying to get in shape? You can walk yourself to better health. Stu...
5 Tips for Winter Walking
5 Tips for Winter Walking5 Tips for Winter Walking5 Tips for Winter Walking5 Tips for Winter Walking
Get the scoop on how to stay active and warm despite cold weather. Trying to get in shape? You can walk yourself to better health – and you don’t have...
2 Small Steps to Lose Weight and Trim Your Waist
How Does Exercise Benefit People With COPD?