Is walking backward a way to sculpt my legs?

Resistance training in the form of lunges and squats, and certain exercise machines that allow you to perform leg raises, leg kickbacks and other specific-muscle exercises can certainly help to sculpt your legs.  Uphill walking and running can also help you to tone your calves and quadriceps muscles.  And many exercisers are crediting spinning classes with toned, firm legs.

A new study suggests that walking backward, pedaling on a stationary bicycle in reverse or going in backward motion on an elliptical are all helpful activities to sculpt your legs because they challenge your muscles to move in less traditional movements.

Continue Learning about Walking

Get in Step
Get in Step
"Walking saved my life." So say many walking enthusiasts who picked up the habit and as a result either reduced their risk of disease, lost weight, be...
Walking Motivation: 5 Ways to Make It a Habit
1. Schedule it. If you treat walking as an automatic "must" on your daily list -- like brushing your teeth or taking your vitamins -- then there's no ...
How can I breath effectively when walking?
Mike Allard , NASM Elite TrainerMike Allard , NASM Elite Trainer
In order to breathe effectively while walking, try focusing on a couple of things. First, breathe in...
What foods should I avoid when starting a walking program?
Benjamin Eseroma Benjamin Eseroma
You want to have all your daily required vitamins. Do not worry about avoiding anything right now un...