Is walking backward a way to sculpt my legs?

Resistance training in the form of lunges and squats, and certain exercise machines that allow you to perform leg raises, leg kickbacks and other specific-muscle exercises can certainly help to sculpt your legs.  Uphill walking and running can also help you to tone your calves and quadriceps muscles.  And many exercisers are crediting spinning classes with toned, firm legs.

A new study suggests that walking backward, pedaling on a stationary bicycle in reverse or going in backward motion on an elliptical are all helpful activities to sculpt your legs because they challenge your muscles to move in less traditional movements.

Continue Learning about Walking

Best Walking Speed for a Longer Life
Best Walking Speed for a Longer Life
No doubt about it, walking is the most user-friendly form of exercise there is. But your everyday walking speed matters, too. Especially if you're try...
How can I fit a walking schedule into my busy day?
Keri GansKeri Gans
Here are some ways to fit walking into your day: 1. During your lunch break, go for a walk instea...
Get the Most Out of Winter Walking
Get the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter Walking
Don’t let cold weather stop you from burning calories and having fun with friends.
2 Small Steps to Lose Weight and Trim Your Waist