How should I warm up before walking?

Start the first five minutes of your workout at a reduced pace, about 50% your maximum effort. Then pause to stretch your calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, and lower back. Hold each stretch for 30 seconds; do not bounce or force the movement. This will keep your body flexible and may help prevent injuries once you pick up the pace for the rest of the workout. Don’t forget to cool down by walking at the same reduced pace for about the last five minutes of your workout to allow your heart rate to return to normal.

Prior to starting any walk you should be sure to complete a static or self-myofascial release stretch. Since you are working the lower body, try to focus on your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, and calves. Do not forget about upper body as it will be used to keep good strong posture. In addition, be sure to be hydrated prior to any walk. Have a glass of water prior to your start.

Continue Learning about Walking

The Five-Minute Walking Miracle
The Five-Minute Walking Miracle
Cloudy mind? Damaged arteries? Growing belly? A study confirms the remedy for these health woes is precisely what the 4th century B.C. Greek philosoph...
How can I count my walking steps without a pedometer?
Luis Alonso, NASM Elite TrainerLuis Alonso, NASM Elite Trainer
If you take a regular walk on a daily basis and would like to know how many steps you take without t...
Get the Most Out of Winter Walking
Get the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter WalkingGet the Most Out of Winter Walking
Don’t let cold weather stop you from burning calories and having fun with friends.
Does Reparative Therapy Work?
Does Reparative Therapy Work?