How much should I walk in a day?

Setting a goal is a big help when you're trying to get fit or lose weight, and when it comes to walking, it's clear what the goal should be. Watch this video to learn what RealAge's Dr. Mike sets as his daily walking goal -- and why.

How much you walk each day will be dependent on your ability and on time constrictions. While some physical activity is better than none at all, most health benefits will occur with at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of physical activity that is of moderate intensity. In general, episodes of activity should be at least 10 minutes long and you can start with this amount each day or every other day, until you accumulate at least 150 minutes of brisk walking each week. 

Continue Learning about Walking

7 Secrets for Sticking to Your Walking Goal from Leslie Sansone
1. Make your goal doable. If you stick a 3-year-old on a two-wheeler and tell him to ride, he's going to fall off and refuse to get back on for a long...
News: City Pollution May Blunt the Benefits of Walking
Walking is a nearly perfect exercise, especially for older adults. It strengthens your muscles, helps keep the pounds off, improves your balance and l...
How can I make walking a habit?
Michelle Theis , NASM Elite TrainerMichelle Theis , NASM Elite Trainer
If you think about it, walking is probably already a habit for you. Maybe just not in the way you th...
How do I start walking for exercise?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Any walking program should have three segments: a warm-up, a segment of optimal exercise pace, a...