How can I motivate my elderly parent to go for walks?

Encourage your parents to walk by explaining the benefits of exercise:

• Stronger heart and lungs
  • Increased energy
  • Increased stamina
  • Increased bone density
  • Increased self-esteem

This form of exercise is very easy and the impact is low on the body. The benefits will be great! Another way to encourage them, go with them!

Getting an elderly parent to go for walks can be difficult.  Its hard to change the parent/child role, so you could be the last person your elderly parent wants to listen to about going for walks.  Walking can be painful and difficult as we age, but is so very important.  When you are with your parent, be sure to take him or her for short walks.  If your parent is living in an independent or assisted living facility, ask around to see if there is another resident that has common interests who would be able to encourage your parent to go for walks.  Suggestions are almost always more acceptible coming from a peer versus a son or daughter.

Continue Learning about Walking