How can I make walking a habit?

• Schedule it. If you treat walking as an automatic "must" on your daily list -- like brushing your teeth or taking your vitamins -- then there's no debate about whether you will or won't do it. Before long, it'll be a rock-solid habit.
  • Get a buddy. Having a friend (human or furry) waiting for you to take a walk gets you out there day after day. Your walking "buddy" doesn't even have to be somebody you see. It can be a pal with whom you check in every day, by phone or online. If your pal doesn't get your daily "I just walked" message, he or she knows to give you a get-going poke.
  • Add some fun. Dying to play Boggle on your smartphone? Head outdoors or hop on the treadmill, and think up words while you walk. Addicted to recorded romance novels? Listen to them only while you stride along (just don't run into anything when it gets steamy!). Whatever makes walking more fun for you, do it!
  • Keep track. A walking log, a pedometer, even a little notation in your calendar -- it's all good. That's because keeping track of your miles and goals increases your odds of sticking to your plan..
  • Reward yourself. We're all for bribery when it comes to exercise. Give yourself a walking goal of, say, 10 miles per week for a month, or 60 minutes a day for a week -- and if you're successful, treat yourself to a massage or a gotta-see-it movie or a new MP3 player for your walking tunes or recorded books.

An easy way to assist in making walking a habit will be to create a walking log and walking calendar. These two items will assist in creating successful habits. A walking log will allow you to log each walk. The logs may be as simple as, I walked 10,000 steps today, or I walked 5 miles. You may add more detail if you would like but this will not be required

A walking calendar will allow you to set goals. In order to be successful, you must set goals for yourself. You need to be sure you have something to work towards or your success may not be as likely. Focusing to walk 10,000 steps a day is a great starting goal. From there, use your calendar to mark off when your goal must be completed and build your walks until that time!

Enjoy!

Continue Learning about Walking

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Hiking Your Way to Better Health
    Hawaii has long been ranked as one of the healthiest states in the country, but many residents struggle to stay active. The Department of Health and H...
    3 Tips to Start Your Walking Workout
    3 Tips to Start Your Walking Workout
    2 Small Steps to Lose Weight and Trim Your Waist
    2 Simple Ways to Boost Weight Loss
    2 Simple Ways to Boost Weight Loss