How can I fit walking into my work day?

It’s easy to fit walking into your work day. Make simple changes like parking further from your office, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking to peoples offices instead of emailing or calling them. By making these small changes you can increase the amount you walk and your health and fitness.

RealAge
Administration
Instead of sitting at your desk all day, wouldn't it be great if you could, say, walk in place at your computer and shed a few pounds?

That's exactly what researchers thought when they designed a workstation treadmill. They estimated it could help overweight people lose up to 66 pounds in a year. And the premise panned out. Obese workers had to walk at a speed of only one mile per hour at the walk-and-work stations to burn twice the calories they normally did during a workday. And replacing just two or three hours of sitting with walk-and-work action could burn 44 to 66 pounds over the course of a year. Bottom line: Moderate activity matters.

Since you won't find these far-thinking contraptions at your local Wal-Mart, here are a few realistic ways to make desk life less stationary.
  • Spend half your lunch hour walking.
  • Take three 10-minute walking breaks.
  • Fidget.
  • Ask your employer about subsidizing memberships at local gyms.
No matter how hectic your schedule may be, you should try to walk 30 minutes every day. If it doesn't happen at work, slap on your walking shoes as soon as you get home.

Continue Learning about Walking