How can I make a family walk fun for my child?

Play games! Family walks are great but if your child is not interested then it may not be as pleasant as everyone would like.

A great game to play will be “I Spy.” My family and I used to play this game all the time and it keep us busy for a while! Find an object, could be a car, a house, a bird, a plane, you name it! Having the others guess things about the item, things such as color, size, shape, etc. The harder the object the longer it will take to guess and the more time will have gone by on your walk.

Well spending half an hour power walking is not going to sound like fun to your child. Try walking to a place that they enjoy going, such as to the park or a pond.  Depending on your childs age, turn the 'boring' walk into a fun exploration. Use your imagination and paly games along the way. The key point is to make fitness fun for your child, by whatever means necessary. If you can establish the mind-set that fitness and physical activity is fun, your child is much more likely to embrace it!

Continue Learning about Walking