What are safety issues for seniors to consider when walking?

If a senior is new to exercise then they should consult with their physician to be cleared to exercise. Walking is a very low impact form of exercise so most should be able to complete. Prior to walking, they should plan an appropriate time to walk. They should not be walking in the middle of the day on the hottest day of the year. Be sure they are hydrated, have them walk with others, and be sure they are walking in a safe area.

Some safety issues to consider before heading out for a walk include familiarizing yourself with the route and surroundings, taking into consideration the time of day and planning accordingly for temperature changes and hydration needs.  Carrying a cell phone, letting someone know when you plan to return and/or walking with a friend will help make your walk a safe and enjoyable experience.  Happy walking!

Balance is an obvious concern for seniors walking.  If a senior wants to start walking on trails or even on concrete for any length of time, there are tools called walking sticks, that are available at sporting good stores.  They give you balance, and also increase calorie burn because you are moving your arms as well.  These walking sticks look like ski poles.  They have tips for trails and tips for concrete.  I highly recommend a good pair of walking sticks.  I use them myself, and I am no where near a senior, yet.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Walking Safety

Walking Safety

While walking isn't as intense as other forms of exercise, it's still important to use proper form to prevent injury and take precautions to ensure your health and safety. Consider the time of day you will be walking and the locat...

ion -- do you need reflective gear to be seen, or sun protection? Do you know how to match your gear to the weather and terrain? How can you avoid dehydration? Be prepared, whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or out on a running path. Learn more about staying safe while walking with expert advice from Sharecare.