Is it safe to wear weights on ankles or wrists while walking or running?

Personally, I am not a fan of wearing weights while walking or running.  When you start a walk/run, your blood pressure will be elevated due to the increase in body temperature and the activity you are about to start.  By adding resistance, you may be increasing you blood pressure even further which may put you at a higher risk, if you do not pay close attention to your body and how it responds to the effects of added weights.  However, as long as you monitor your vitals then going for a walk/run with added weights can have some benefit.  I do believe your biggest benefit would be to complete your walk/run and if looking for added resistance then complete some strength training following your aerobic activity.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Dangers of Distracted Walking
Dangers of Distracted Walking
It's Not Me…It's You. That’s the title of a George Lopez comedy special on HBO and what lots of folks told researchers who conducted a survey on distr...
What are the dangers of walking on treadmills?
Emily Adams , NASM Elite TrainerEmily Adams , NASM Elite Trainer
The danger of walking on a treadmill is about the same danger of walking on any ground. When you are...
Why is it important to drink water before I go walking?
Sanaa Nakonecznyj , NASM Elite TrainerSanaa Nakonecznyj , NASM Elite Trainer
Hydration is very important to a successful exercise program. Whether it is a strength training, run...
How can I stay hydrated when walking?
Cecilia Alston , NASM Elite TrainerCecilia Alston , NASM Elite Trainer
Ensure that you are properly hydrated before you start walking.  At the same time you want tomake su...