Is it safe to wear weights on ankles or wrists while walking or running?

Personally, I am not a fan of wearing weights while walking or running.  When you start a walk/run, your blood pressure will be elevated due to the increase in body temperature and the activity you are about to start.  By adding resistance, you may be increasing you blood pressure even further which may put you at a higher risk, if you do not pay close attention to your body and how it responds to the effects of added weights.  However, as long as you monitor your vitals then going for a walk/run with added weights can have some benefit.  I do believe your biggest benefit would be to complete your walk/run and if looking for added resistance then complete some strength training following your aerobic activity.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Walking Safety

Walking Safety

While walking isn't as intense as other forms of exercise, it's still important to use proper form to prevent injury and take precautions to ensure your health and safety. Consider the time of day you will be walking and the locat...

ion -- do you need reflective gear to be seen, or sun protection? Do you know how to match your gear to the weather and terrain? How can you avoid dehydration? Be prepared, whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or out on a running path. Learn more about staying safe while walking with expert advice from Sharecare.