How much water should I carry with me when I'm walking?

This depends on a couple of factors, including the climate you are in, how much you sweat and how long you are walking. The hotter the climate, the more you sweat and the longer you walk the more you will need to hydrate. On average, most people should consume about 7-10 fluid ounces for every 10-20 minutes of exercise.

Keep in mind that if you are thirsty then you have not consumed enough water. It is important that you hydrate before and after exercise, especially in hotter climates. Also, if you tend to sweat more, you will need to drink more to replace your fluids. Also remember that if you live in a dry climate, you may not think you are sweating very much, even though you may be sweating more than someone in a humid climate. So don’t use sweat as your only gauge for hydration.

More specific calculations can be done specifically for you by a health or fitness professional.

8 oz for every 30 minutes of exercise.

Much will depend on the length you are walking. Some individuals do not bring water as they have kept themselves hydrated throughout the day. I always recommend bringing a water bottle that is easy to carry. Having 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of walking would be an ideal recommendation.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Dangers of Distracted Walking
Dangers of Distracted Walking
It's Not Me…It's You. That’s the title of a George Lopez comedy special on HBO and what lots of folks told researchers who conducted a survey on distr...
How much water should I drink while walking?
Staying hydrated is important to maintain health and performance while walking. It’s important to be...
What kind of reflective gear should I wear when walking at night?
Melissa Hatton, NASM Elite TrainerMelissa Hatton, NASM Elite Trainer
When it is dark outside, whether it is night or early morning, you should always wear some sort of r...
What are some good tips for listening to music while walking?
Jill Goldstein Jill Goldstein
The music you want to listen to is upbeat and have a good rythym to keep your pace up.  The slower t...