How much water should I carry with me when I'm walking?

Much will depend on the length you are walking. Some individuals do not bring water as they have kept themselves hydrated throughout the day. I always recommend bringing a water bottle that is easy to carry. Having 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of walking would be an ideal recommendation.

8 oz for every 30 minutes of exercise.

This depends on a couple of factors, including the climate you are in, how much you sweat and how long you are walking. The hotter the climate, the more you sweat and the longer you walk the more you will need to hydrate. On average, most people should consume about 7-10 fluid ounces for every 10-20 minutes of exercise.

Keep in mind that if you are thirsty then you have not consumed enough water. It is important that you hydrate before and after exercise, especially in hotter climates. Also, if you tend to sweat more, you will need to drink more to replace your fluids. Also remember that if you live in a dry climate, you may not think you are sweating very much, even though you may be sweating more than someone in a humid climate. So don’t use sweat as your only gauge for hydration.

More specific calculations can be done specifically for you by a health or fitness professional.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Walking Safety

Walking Safety

While walking isn't as intense as other forms of exercise, it's still important to use proper form to prevent injury and take precautions to ensure your health and safety. Consider the time of day you will be walking and the locat...

ion -- do you need reflective gear to be seen, or sun protection? Do you know how to match your gear to the weather and terrain? How can you avoid dehydration? Be prepared, whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or out on a running path. Learn more about staying safe while walking with expert advice from Sharecare.