How can I stay hydrated when walking?

Ensure that you are properly hydrated before you start walking.  At the same time you want tomake sure that you have fed your body so that you have the energy it needs to sustain the walk.  I would suggest eating a very light something and drinking at least one bottle of water about an hour or two before your walk.  Lack of food and water could cause cramping as will eating or drinking directly before walking.

While walking be sure to carry some water with you or have designated water stops along the way if possible.

Prior to any walk you should be consuming water. Try to consume a full glass prior to your walk and one following. If you feel more will be needed due to the length of your walk then drink when thirsty. Keeping your body hydrated is key to prevent muscles cramps and muscle soreness. Water is very tasty so be sure to drink plenty!

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Dangers of Distracted Walking
Dangers of Distracted Walking
It's Not Me…It's You. That’s the title of a George Lopez comedy special on HBO and what lots of folks told researchers who conducted a survey on distr...
How can I ensure my personal safety when walking outside?
Steven Mogavero , NASM Elite TrainerSteven Mogavero , NASM Elite Trainer
Always be aware of your surroundings and walk with your head held high with confidence. Do not put y...
What are the dangers of walking on treadmills?
Emily Adams , NASM Elite TrainerEmily Adams , NASM Elite Trainer
The danger of walking on a treadmill is about the same danger of walking on any ground. When you are...
What kind of reflective gear should I wear when walking at night?
Melissa Hatton, NASM Elite TrainerMelissa Hatton, NASM Elite Trainer
When it is dark outside, whether it is night or early morning, you should always wear some sort of r...