How can I stay hydrated when walking?

Prior to any walk you should be consuming water. Try to consume a full glass prior to your walk and one following. If you feel more will be needed due to the length of your walk then drink when thirsty. Keeping your body hydrated is key to prevent muscles cramps and muscle soreness. Water is very tasty so be sure to drink plenty!

Ensure that you are properly hydrated before you start walking.  At the same time you want tomake sure that you have fed your body so that you have the energy it needs to sustain the walk.  I would suggest eating a very light something and drinking at least one bottle of water about an hour or two before your walk.  Lack of food and water could cause cramping as will eating or drinking directly before walking.

While walking be sure to carry some water with you or have designated water stops along the way if possible.

Continue Learning about Walking Safety

Walking Safety

Walking Safety

While walking isn't as intense as other forms of exercise, it's still important to use proper form to prevent injury and take precautions to ensure your health and safety. Consider the time of day you will be walking and the locat...

ion -- do you need reflective gear to be seen, or sun protection? Do you know how to match your gear to the weather and terrain? How can you avoid dehydration? Be prepared, whether you're walking on a treadmill at the gym or out on a running path. Learn more about staying safe while walking with expert advice from Sharecare.