What makes for a successful walking program?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
To make a walking program work for you:
  • Measure your walks in minutes, not miles or steps
  • Vary your walk
  • Vary your walking speed
  • Look for safe routes with hills
  • Keep an area of walking gear ready
Fit As Fido: Follow Your Dog to Better Health

Let your dog teach you to live a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life! Companionship with your pet can be used as a means and a motivator to increase your own physical and mental fitness....

In order to be successful you must set a goal. Walking for enjoyment is great but if walking to keep yourself active then you must do so with an incentive. Maybe your goal will be to walk 10,000 steps everyday. Maybe you want to be able to walk a certain amount of miles in a certain amount of time. Consider signing up for a charity event or race of some sort.

Ways to help make this successful created a walking log and a walking calendar. These two items will help you log your daily walks and chart your walks so you have a set amount to complete.

Continue Learning about Walking Programs

How can I get involved in walking charities?
Tara Finch , NASM Elite TrainerTara Finch , NASM Elite Trainer
Getting involved in charity work is a very rewarding experience, and very easy to get involved in.Mo...
How can a support system help me with my walking program?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Having support from you family and friends will lead to success! By having loved ones push you is ph...
How do I start a walking program to improve my health?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best way to start a walking program is to set a goal.  A simple starting goal would be to comple...
What is a 12-week walking program for a beginner?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
A 12-week program will depend largely on your base fitness level.  If you would like further detail ...