What does a foot blister look like?

A foot blister will form as a bump. Underneath the bump will be fluid.

A blister is a small pocket of fluid within the upper layers of the skin, typically caused by forceful rubbing (friction), burning, freezing, chemical exposure or infection. Most blisters are filled with a clear fluid called serum or plasma. However, blisters can be filled with blood (known as blood blisters) or with pus (if they become infected).

Blisters are a very common cause of foot pain symptoms. They occur frequently on the bottom of the feet but can also be seen on the top and side of the foot. In the foot at least, the primary cause is friction. The most common cause is a poor fitting shoe combined with an activity that creates excessive friction on a certain part of the foot. You can also get foot blisters from eczema and athletes foot. In addition they can occur from burns and situations where the feet are too moist thus increasing friction.

From the excessive friction the upper layer of skin, the epidermis, separates from the middle layer of skin, the dermis. Fluid fills in and the blister is formed. Initially the lesion is formed to actually protect an area but more often than not on the foot the blister will begin to hurt.

Continue Learning about Blisters

What causes foot blisters?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Blisters in any location are caused by increased friction between your skin and an external object. ...
What should I avoid if I have foot blisters?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
If you have foot blisters then try to avoid excessive movement where the blister is present. If on y...
What are foot blisters?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Chances are you've suffered a blister at some point in your life, perhaps because you were tryin...
How can my foot blisters be treated?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If a foot blister develops, don't pop it. The skin provides a natural defense against infection....