How common are foot blisters?

How common foot blisters appear is directly related to how conditioned your feet are to friction as well as several other factors.

Foot blisters are often caused by excessive friction, heat, dirt, and moisture on your feet. When hiking, running, or walking, increasing exposure to any of these will increase the likelyhood of developing blisters on your feet. This includes:
  • Increasing the pace or duration of your activity.
  • Hiking, running, or walking in new shoes or shoes that do not fit your feet or movement well (ie: running in shoes without proper arch support.)
  • Walking in environments where dirt, sand, or moisture can get into your shoes.
  • Walking barefoot on hot or gritty surfaces for extended periods (I have very conditioned feet, but still had horrible blisters after running barefoot on gravel for a martial arts class.)
The best way to prevent blisters is to make sure you have shoes that properly fit your feet and movement (ie: do not wear basketball shoes for running a 5k), and keeping your feet dry, cool, and free of dirt and grit. 

If you are running for long periods of time or in climates with lots of moisture, dirt, etc, take breaks to let your feet cool, and to check for unwanted dirt or moisture in your shoes and socks.

Happy Running!

Continue Learning about Blisters

What does a foot blister look like?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
A foot blister will form as a bump. Underneath the bump will be fluid.
Are there any alternative treatments for foot blisters?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best treatment will be time. Allow the blister to heel by itself, try to avoid picking at it, an...
How can I exercise if foot blisters prevent me from running?
If running causes you blisters there are several other options available. Brisk walking, cycling, sw...
How can I avoid blisters from my high heels?
Apply bandages or moleskin to problem areas to prevent blister formation. Use a lubricant like petro...