What is the rate of incidence for vulvovaginitis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Vulvovaginitis and other vaginal infections can be quite common in women of all ages. This occurs because the causes of vulvovaginitis are varied (including allergies, irritation from chemicals, bacteria or parasites) and involve a number of possibly common activities (including hygiene methods or sex). Most women experience symptoms of vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina) or vulvovaginitis (inflammation of the vagina and vulva) at least once in their lives. In addition to these outside factors and activities, age plays an inevitable role in someone's risk for vulvovaginitis. Because adolescents and postmenopausal women possess decreased levels of estrogen, they consequentially have decreased vaginal protection against infection and irritation. In fact, vulvovaginitis is the most commonly diagnosed gynecological disease in girls who have not yet reached puberty.

Continue Learning about Vulvovaginitis

How does bacterial vulvovaginitis affect the body?
Bacterial vulvovaginitis occurs when there is an abundance of certain "bad" bacteria in the body. Th...
Should I talk to my doctor about my prepubescent vulvovaginitis symptoms?
Prepubescent vulvovaginitis is common among adolescents who have not yet reached puberty, as they ru...
Can vulvovaginitis be prevented?
Cases of vulvovaginitis are very common and can happen to women of any age. For this reason, it is s...
Is estrogen deficient vulvovaginitis serious?
The thinning (atrophy) of the vaginal tissue that causes symptoms of estrogen deficient vulvovaginit...